Thursday, June 13, 2013

What Inspires a Nonfiction Writer?



For me, inspiration is a spiritual experience that happens unexpectedly. I simply go about my day while thinking about what I’m doing, what I’ve done, what needs to be done, what I would like to do, what I will do, and suddenly an idea comes to me that perks my interest. I feel inspired to learn about it, which is possibly a new slant on a topic I’m already interested in or something completely unique. I’ll look it up, I’ll buy books on it, and I’ll read until I’ve quenched my curiosity.

Then I’ll write about it and share my research, thoughts, and experiences. I also write about my life – what’s going on with me, how things have changed, what’s new, and what I hope and dream for. I write about my progress in life, because I’m always working on improving something about myself or my life.

All of these things inspire me to share my story, hopes, dreams, beliefs, and experiences daily. I have so much to share and I know it can’t hurt to do so; it might even help.

I’ve written many articles about what I’ve learned in life. Experience is the best teacher. It’s even considered nearly equivalent to education in the workforce. I take what I’ve learned and I write about it, in hopes that it will help another.

I’ve written four books that stem from my experiences. The first is a book of poems that I penned when I became a writer. It’s called Poetry for the Heart. My second book, Essays for the Soul, is a collection of creative essays about my thoughts and experiences in regards to writing and life.

My third book, My Not-So-Ordinary Life, is my autobiography. It tells the tale of my life from childhood to my late-twenties, focusing on my adolescent struggles and how I turned my life around.

Freelance Writing Guide – my fourth book – is based on what I experienced in my first year as a freelance writer. It shares all of what I learned as a new freelance writer in order to help other writers gain insight on what they can expect in their first year as a freelance writer.

Quite simply, I love to write. I write mostly nonfiction because I am inspired by my experiences and my thoughts. I just want to share everything of value that I’ve experienced and learned because I believe it will be valuable to someone else. I like to help people by preparing them for, and educating them on, various aspects of life that I’ve already lived through.

Evidently, I like to learn, and I know there are others who like to learn too. These knowledge seekers are my readers and are the kinds of people I love to reach.

In turn, I learn a lot from my readers. They provide me with amazing feedback, support, and encouragement. They are teachers too, and many of them are writers too. There is always something I can learn from them.

If you are interested in any of my books, feel free to visit my website to learn more about them. If you would like to learn more about me as an author, feel free to take a look at my blog.

Thank you for having me as a guest today. I truly enjoyed sharing about what inspires me as a writer and what I like to write about. Feel free to leave a comment or question below and I’ll be happy to respond to them. Have a wonderful day and a beautiful summer.
 

About this Guest Poster:

Christine Rice is a freelance writer, author, and editor. She’s been involved in the writing and publishing industry since 2007. She has published four books and loves helping other authors edit and format their books. Her freelance services and her writing keeps her very busy. She happily resides in Massachusetts with her wonderful husband and their beloved cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment